Saturday, November 22, 2008

Chocolate and Marble

Today we went on a field trip. The 5th grade went to the Capitol and Mrs. Cavanaugh's Chocolate Shop. The Capitol was amazing! There was a lot of velvet, gold, marble and paintings.

What really amazed me was the dome. Outside, it just looked like this big gold painted thingy, but inside, it was so beautiful it was heart stopping. On either side there were stone arches with carved flowers. Winding up the sides were pictures of people who made a difference in the world.

But my favorite was the very top of the dome. They had painted it with a picture of the sky and seagulls. The tour guide said the seagulls were 4-6 feet tall! Holding up the balcony were stone columns. I felt like hugging them. Everything was so polished and brightly colored!

After eating lunch, we hopped onto the bus. When we got to the chocolate factory, the delicious aroma of chocolate greeted us. We watched video clips about chocolate and watched workers. We got a sample! Some kids bought candy. This boy spit chewed up candy on me-- how mean is that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pen!

The boy who spit chocolate on you? Sounds about par for the course for fifth grade, unfortunately. Some boys will grow out of being stupid as they grow up, but sadly, others won't. Good luck dealing with them in the mean time!

Klayman said...

Pen,
I am an old friend of your mothers from college (we coached a kids soccer team together) and I saw the link to your blog on her blog. I must tell you that you are a very good writer. The structure of this first entry has excellent flow and continuity. The thoughts are well expressed and complete without dwelling to long on one subject. I doubt you have been instructed on rhythm and prose in school yet, so this must come naturally to you. I look forward to additional entries.

The details of your field trip were fun to read about. I felt that I would feel the same things as you did while looking at the capital dome. I also related to the chocolate factory aroma. I happen to live next to a chocolate factory in Poland and I am greeted by that same pleasantness every morning. I think they could charge higher rent here just for that feature.

I also have a blog, but it is down right now while I change domain hosts. I will send you a link when it is up. Good luck with your blog, and thanks for posting.

t0moo said...

Pen, this is Bert VeeBman, a friend of your mom's from when we lived in Oregon. My son, Marty says:

You're lucky to live so close to your capital. It sounds like you had a good time. Give that boy a beating from me (just kidding), not all boys are that dumb. Trust me!